The nights are dark and long, the summer feels like a different century and it’s way too cold to be thinking about a frozen cocktail. But there’s still gin to be drunk.
So, what do you do on those cold evenings when you’re huddled around the fire trying to stay warm. What’s the drink you want to put into your flask and sip on while watching your kids play winter sports or while walking in the woods with you family and friends? These are the moments when you want to reach for a warming, invigorating hot drink, spiked with a little booze.
Most of the time, when the words “hot toddy” are used they are referring to a whisky-based drink. But, since the gin revolution, all that has changed forever. Gin is now available in both hot and cold. This easy- to- make recipe warms you up from the inside out and it’s the perfect way to bring out those winter flavours of honey, orange, booze and cinnamon sticks. We recommend using a complex orange gin for this such as Tanqueray Sevilla (paid link), Silent Pool citrus gin (paid link) or Tarquins (paid link).
Plus, this is one of the easiest drinks you could ever make, packed with alcoholic flavour and wintery spice. And you can knock one of these up in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea!
TOP TIP: great for breakfast before (or after) a long winter’s walk. Just put it into a plain coffee mug and nobody will ever know!
Hot Gin Toddy recipe
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 oz gin
- ¼ cup of hot water
- Juice from 1 orange
- Cinnamon stick
- Orange slice
- Pour gin, honey and orange juice into a large mug
- Top up with hot water
- Stir honey in until dissolved
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and orange slice
And now, enjoy your Gin Toddy!
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- The Ruddles Report: JanuaryNotes from a gin dog In the latest edition of the Ruddles gin report, our faithful gin dog has been sniffing out some news that you might find ginteresting. Winter is not his favourite time of year and lockdown hasn’t helped. He’s been keeping himself busy scouring the world’s media for the gin stories you … Continued
- NUT gin: the clue is in the name!We stumbled across a lovely little gin the other day. It’s from right here in Catalunya and frankly it was too good for us not to share. Go nuts! Introducing NUT gin, craft-distilled in the Emporda region of Catalunya nestled between the rugged drama of the Pyrenean mountains and the cooling breezes of the Mediterranean … Continued
- Gin-Gin Mule: a gin cocktail with a kick!Many of us will have heard of the legendary Moscow Mule. It’s a classic cocktail and it’s been around forever. It is a cocktail made with vodka, spicy ginger beer, and lime juice, garnished with a slice or wedge of lime. The Moscow Mule is generally served in copper mugs and is one of the simplest and … Continued
- The Italian Job: penne pasta with ginWhat could be better on a cold winter’s day than a warming, comforting bowl of pasta to heat you up from the inside? How about a bowl of pasta that has gin as one of its main ingredients? Got your attention, didn’t we!There can be few more comforting things in the world than a hot, … Continued