The dog days of Summer are here and we’re sure that the gins are already out and the ice cubes are stacking up in the freezer. But sometimes, just drinking gin isn’t enough. What if you could eat it?
Never fear, your dreams have just come true.
So, as the temperature climbs, why not cool down with some delicious gin and tonic ice cream.
Here’s one of our favourite recipes for you to try out at home (in 5 easy steps).
Give it a whirl and let us know what you think. You could even stick a couple of flakes in the top and pretend it’s just a 99 from Mr. Whippy (although you may not fool your friends, who will all want to try this cool G&T treat!)
5 steps to a perfect gin and tonic ice cream
- Pour one cup of sugar directly into a mixing bowl, then add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 125ml of tonic water and 3 tablespoons of gin
- Stir all ingredients together until they start to dissolve
- Pour in 600ml of cream
- Whip it good! Beat the cream with a whisk until it thickens up like a decent milkshake (think McDonald’s). Try not to over do the whipping!
- Transfer the contents into a freezer-proof container and allow to freeze.
It really is as easy as that – so whip some up for your friends and relatives and let us know what you think of the ultimate summer cooler!
And don’t forget to share all your photos on our fabulous instagram pages!
Recommendation: Any gin will do for this recipe, but we recommend Bertha’s Revenge from Ireland (see Gin of the Month). This gin is rich and creamy (just as well since it’s made fermented from real Irish milk). The perfect base for a gin ice cream.
Thank you Bertha!
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- The Italian Job: penne pasta with ginWhat could be better on a cold winter’s day than a warming, comforting bowl of pasta to heat you up from the inside? How about a bowl of pasta that has gin as one of its main ingredients? Got your attention, didn’t we!There can be few more comforting things in the world than a hot, … Continued
- Gin punch: a giant cocktail served in a bowlWe all like a cocktail. But 200 years before the term was invented, we had to resort to other creative ways of getting our alcohol fix. In those days, there were no cocktail glasses, fancy recipes or bartender’s tools in those days – so they turned to punch! In its earliest days, in the 18th … Continued
- Smoky ice cubes: are they really a thing?No smoke without fire? Smoky ice cubes are indeed a thing. And they’re so easy to make. You could go all out and spend a day preparing a fire, smoking the wood and delicately infusing the ice. Or, you could simply buy a small bottle of liquid smoke and add a few drops to your … Continued
- Queen Bee cocktail: a blend of natural honey and citrus to get you buzzing!!Looking for a delicious new cocktail to get 2021 off to a great start? Then, look no further. Introducing the Queen Bee cocktail – a beautiful smooth and healthy gin cocktail that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Silky smooth blend of citrus and honey (with a coffee edge) Mixed from a … Continued