On a recent tour of the beautiful Bombay Sapphire distillery in Hampshire (highly recommended by the way!), I stumbled across the Laverstoke cocktail as one of my post-tour choices.
It’s been my “go to” Summer drink ever since, because it combines some of my favourite ingredients including elderflower, lime, ginger and gin. Mixed together it is the lightest and most refreshing of summer cocktails.
Perfect for sipping on a summer’s day overlooking the clear waters of the trout stream that flows swiftly under the amazing converted mill deep in the Hampshire countryside – now home to the Bombay Sapphire distillery (and one of the best and prettiest gin tours in the UK).
Here’s how to make one (courtesy of Bombay Sapphire’s head bartender, Sam Carter).
- Squeeze 2 freshly cut lime wedges into a large copa (balloon) glass then drop in
- Pour in 10 ml of Elderflower cordial (paid link)
- Add 15 ml of Martini Rosso vermout (paid link)
- Pour in 50 ml of gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire! (paid link)
- Fill glass completely with large ice cubes and stir well to chill
- Pour ginger ale (or ginger beer) down a twisted bar spoon over the ice and gently stir cocktail at same time
- Garnish with a snapped ginger slice and an awoken mint leaf
- Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy…
For more of Sam’s delicious gin cocktail recipes click here
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- The Ruddles Report: notes from a gin dogToday is Ruddles’ first day on the job in his new role as Barcelona Gin’s chief newshound. Our gallant Gin Dog has been busy all week, sniffing out the best gin news stories for your reading pleasure. We already know he has a great nose for a story, so we are expecting great things from … Continued
- Introducing our newshound, Ruddles – the ultimate gin dog!Introducing our gorgeous newshound, Ruddles. Or Señor Ruddles if you prefer. This shaggy, laid back bundle of love is a vital part of our team here at Barcelona Gin. We recruited him from a local refuge a few years ago. He had spent much of his early life living outdoors in a huge field. It … Continued
- Dry Martini: Barcelona’s cocktail HQIn a year when we said goodbye to Sean Connery (arguably the greatest Bond ever to grace our screens) we thought we’d pay tribute to a Barcelona bar that has been honouring his favourite drink for more than 30 years. Welcome to the legendary Dry Martini bar in Barcelona. From the outside, you might not … Continued
- Gin fit for a Queen (and a Prince!)You may or not be a fan of The Crown, the latest must see hit mini-series from Netflix. We already know that the Queen is a big gin fan. According to inside reports, Her Maj is partial to a little sharpener of gin and dubonnet before lunch. Her eldest son, Prince Charles on the other … Continued