Ever struggle to get sweetness into your cocktail?
One of bartending’s greatest secrets is simple syrup and just as it says on the tin, it’s really simple. If you’re into cocktails, always have a supply of this available in your fridge. It will be the best thing you ever did. Plus, if you want to dial up your taste sensation, you can add flavour to your syrup by simply adding extra ingredients of your choice while making it. Try flavouring it with mint leaves, citrus peel, ginger, elderflower, chili or blackcurrant. In fact, the possibilities are endless, so whatever floats your boat. If you’re into making cocktails with your gin, this is the ideal way to customise them to your tastes.
Keeping it sweet
Because it is a liquid sweetener, you can just pour it directly into your drink without the need to stir or heat the sugar – ideal to soften up the sharpness of a Tom Collins or to take the citrus edge off a French 75. Plus, there’s one more advantage – keep your simple syrup in a bottle in the fridge (it should last a month or so). That way, it’s always handy for your impromptu cocktail making sessions. And remember, this is not just “gin juice”. You can also use it to sweeten up your favourite recipes, pour it straight into a long iced coffee or iced tea, just pour it into your morning cuppa when you run out of sugar.
Here’s an easy recipe for home made syrup.
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of water
- Add sugar and water to small saucepan on medium heat
- Stir until sugar is dissolved and add flavouring (if desired)
- Allow to cool and decant into a glass jar or bottle
- Seal lid and leave in fridge
- Kept refrigerated
One batch of simple syrup will last for around one month and is sure to sweeten even the sourest of cocktails!
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- The Ruddles Report: notes from a gin dogToday is Ruddles’ first day on the job in his new role as Barcelona Gin’s chief newshound. Our gallant Gin Dog has been busy all week, sniffing out the best gin news stories for your reading pleasure. We already know he has a great nose for a story, so we are expecting great things from … Continued
- Introducing our newshound, Ruddles – the ultimate gin dog!Introducing our gorgeous newshound, Ruddles. Or Señor Ruddles if you prefer. This shaggy, laid back bundle of love is a vital part of our team here at Barcelona Gin. We recruited him from a local refuge a few years ago. He had spent much of his early life living outdoors in a huge field. It … Continued
- Dry Martini: Barcelona’s cocktail HQIn a year when we said goodbye to Sean Connery (arguably the greatest Bond ever to grace our screens) we thought we’d pay tribute to a Barcelona bar that has been honouring his favourite drink for more than 30 years. Welcome to the legendary Dry Martini bar in Barcelona. From the outside, you might not … Continued
- Gin fit for a Queen (and a Prince!)You may or not be a fan of The Crown, the latest must see hit mini-series from Netflix. We already know that the Queen is a big gin fan. According to inside reports, Her Maj is partial to a little sharpener of gin and dubonnet before lunch. Her eldest son, Prince Charles on the other … Continued