Sometimes, people think of gin as an unhealthy drink. Images of drunkards on Gin Lane, a speculative association with depression, unfortunate nicknames like “Mother’s Ruin”. None of these things really represent the truth. Gin is no worse for you than any other spirit – and in some ways it’s better! So, like any drink that is taken too much and too often, moderation is always the best policy. However, it’s worth noting a few things for the record. Gin doesn’t make you cry or feel depressed. In fact, it is one of the healthiest booze choices out there. For those looking to count their calories, it’s worth noting that gin is one of the least calorific of all the major spirit categories. Weighing in at under 100 calories per shot, you can pair it with a zero calorie tonic water and have a decent drink without worrying about putting on the pounds. Plus, with the addition of some fruit garnishes, it even starts to look healthy!
So we thought we’d find a recipe that we can all enjoy – healthy, boozy and delicious. Welcome to the Barcelona Gin Smoothie.
This fruity, healthy little number is a simple blend of strawberries, lime juice, diet tonic water and…more strawberries!
Basically, it has all the ingredients required for guilt-free drinking and it’s delicious at any time of day. So, let’s take a look at how easy this gin smoothie is to prepare.
Here we go – an easy to prepare, delicious and healthy way to mix your gin (and get a little fruity goodness at the same time).
Gin smoothie recipe
- 30 ml gin
- 80g fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 200 ml low calorie tonic water
- More frozen strawberries (for garnish)
- Mix gin, frozen strawberries and lime in a blender
- Mix until smooth
- Add ice cubes and some frozen strawberries to your favourite glass
- Slowly pour in the fruity mixture, leaving space at the top
- Add tonic water to top up
- Sit back and sip smugly…
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- Sloe-ly does it: a boozy apple and blackberry crumble to warm your soulAutumn is always a strange time of year. The weather lurches from warm autumn sunshine to wet winter winds in what seems like the blink of an eye. The leaves turn to a golden brown and deliver a satisfying crunch under foot as we try to make the most of what’s left of the summer … Continued
- Larios Provenzal: the sweet taste of the MedLet me be clear. Long before I discovered Larios Provenzal. I was a big fan of Larios gin. I have been a fan ever since I first moved to Barcelona, almost a decade ago. With a local heritage and a long tradition, it has been quietly making a name for itself as a great value … Continued
- Let’s drink to our health: 5 reasons why gin is good for you!Is gin the elixir of life or the devil’s juice? Alcohol has a rich tradition of medicinal application earned over the centuries. Since its earliest days it has been recognised as having life-restoring properties of its own. Despite early recognition of gin’s medicinal benefits and the reviving qualities of spirits such as brandy and bitters, … Continued
- Lind&Lime: the perfect gin in the perfect bottle?Lind&Lime could just be the perfect gin for me. Sometimes you unwittingly discover a beautiful gin hidden inside a hideous bottle. Other times, you stumble across a terrible gin cunningly disguised inside an expensive looking bottle. But the greatest delight of all is when you spot a gorgeous bottle and then discover that the gin inside … Continued