There’s only one thing better than sipping on a freshly made G&T, built with care and garnished with love and that’s having the right snack available as you sip on our favourite drink. So, we thought we’d suggest some simple, nutty accompaniments which will make your G&T go down a treat. From sweet almond nibbles to a simple chickpea Bombay mix that you can make at home, these are the treats that will make your cocktails shine. We love the spicy chili lime peanuts and the sweet spicy rosemary nuts the most. But everyone’s different, so it’s up to you.
Because these are so moreish, we suggest that you make up a batch of these in advance and store them in a jar with a lid. That way, you’ll always have something handy for happy hour (or any other time!)
Here are our 5 favourite snack mix recipes to help your G&T go down – you decide which one’s the best.
1. Honey sesame almonds: keep everyone sweet
Sometimes you want sweet. Sometimes you want savoury. Sometimes, it just depends on what kind of mood you’re in or what you’re drinking at the time. But if you like the best of both worlds, then here’s a perfect little 15 minute honey sesame almond recipe that blends honey and almonds together for a sweet, salty, spicy nut mix. This delicious blend of sweet and savoury is just perfect for nibbling alongside your favourite cocktail. Plus, it’s full of healthy, natural goodness and it’s really easy to make. You can whip a portion up in no time and dispense them as you please. These little beauties are simply delicious and they’ll work with a range of gins and cocktails. They’ll also pair well with gin liqueurs.
Best with: Hayman’s Old Tom
We think the sweet, nutty flavours here would complement a similarly sweet gin such as Haymans Old Tom gin with its notes of nutmeg, cinammon, cassia bark and licorice. Haymans led the Old Tom revival and we think these softer flavours will work really well with these honey sesame almonds.
2. Curried cashew nuts: heat things up with a taste of the East
As you’re sipping your perfect G&T, allow your imagination to transport you in the direction of the exotic far east. You’re sitting on a white verandah, sipping on a freshly made gin and tonic. The air is thick with humidity and the smell of rain and flowers sprinkles it’s exotic incense for us all to enjoy. Crickets chirp and parrots squawk in the background and the moon is lighting up the scene from on high. The only thing that could improve this scene is the addition of a perfect snack to complement your gin. And here it is! Curried cashew nuts are the perfect snack. You can whip up a batch of these tasty treats in around half an hour using three simple, easy to find ingredients – curry powder, lemon juice and cashew nuts.
Best with: Bombay Sapphire
This classic colonial concoction can be found from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and from Delhi to Dubai. Spicy nuts with a citrus cut-through make this combo especially delicious alongside a high quality standard London Dry gin such as Bombay Sapphire or Beefeater.
3. Chickpea Bombay mix: an easy 3-ingredient spice mix to tickle your tastebuds
All you need is three simple ingredients to make this delicious gluten-free Chickpea Bombay Mix. This may not be the classic Bombay Mix that contains fried chickpea flour noodles known as Sev. Sev is hard to find and harder to make, so this recipe dispenses with it entirely, in favour of curried chickpeas. And you’re going to have to make those first. This will take around 25 minutes. Then, you’ll need to add the chickpeas together with salted peanuts and raisins and pop them all into an oven to roast them to perfection. It takes less than 15 minutes to make this delicious, healthy snack. If you can’t live without your Sev, then you can buy pre-fried Sev from most Asian grocery stores.
Best with: Opihr
We think this might work well alongside a similarly spicy beverage. Opihr is one of those gins that divides opinion. Some are put off by what is described as a “whiff of curry”. But for those who think that’s a good thing rather than a bad thing, these tasty snacks, with their curried flavours, might be just the thing you’re after to keep your tastebuds in balance.
4. Sweet and spicy rosemary nuts: honey and heat to make your mouth water
These gorgeous snacks are just completely irresistible. I first fell for their charms in my favourite (now defunct) Barcelona cocktail bar, Toto. They served these sweet and spicy rosemary nuts in a small dish, (beautifully flavoured) alongside a few thin triangles of manchego cheese. It was love at first taste. So, we thought we’d share a recipe that replicates that experience. All you’ll need is a ration of mixed nuts, some honey, a little brown sugar, some cayenne pepper, a twist of sea salt and the most important ingredient of all, fresh rosemary. The result is a totally irresistible mix of sweet, spicy, crunchy and salty. These are so moreish that we think you ought to mix up a large batch of them to store for the holidays. We don’t want you running out on Christmas Eve, do we!
Best with: Gin Mare
Gin Mare is a Mediterranean favourite and we love it. With its savoury olive notes and the gorgeous Mediterranean flavour of fresh rosemary, we think this is a match made in heaven. And that little twist of cayenne pepper just amps it all up a little bit. The result is an addictively delicious mix that you can whip up in no time. They’re addictive, so don’t say we didn’t warn you!
5. Spicy chilli lime peanuts: so addictive, you’ll keep coming back for more!
These spicy chilli lime peanuts are the snacks that have it all. Peanuts for a little nutty protein, the spicy heat of chilli and the sharp cut through of fresh lime make this little mix an intriguing concoction. And they’re so moreish, we think you’ll keep coming back for more. It shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes to whisk up the basic mix. Then simply pour the mix onto a baking tray and heat in the oven for around 30 minutes. You’ll start to smell those wonderful flavours as the oven brings them all together. And I wouldn’t blame you if you chose to mix a drink while you wait in anticipation for these little beauties to be served. They also work really well with an ice cold beer or even a Tom Collins
Best with: Tanqueray Rangpur
The spice and lime in this snack is a perfect match for the citrus notes of Tanqueray Rangpur. The citrus notes of the Rangpur lime blend well with the juniper forward flavour of this London Dry gin make it one of the purest and most refreshing gins around. So, a little bit of citrus heat is just the thing to keep you sipping your G&T. It might also work well with Brewdog’s Lone Wolf Cactus and Lime gin or Sipsmith’s Chilli and Lime gin. Whatever you choose, you’re going to love these nuts.
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- Ólafsson gin: the exquisite, natural taste of IcelandIcelandic gin is on the rise. I suppose it should come as no surprise that one of the most dramatic landscapes on earth has turned to its natural resources for inspiration. Iceland now creates some of the most interesting new gins available anywhere in the world. From the early days of the gin revolution, brands … Continued
- Sloe gin Bramble pie: blackberries, booze and elephantsIt’s sloe gin time. There’s no point in pretending any more. Autumn is well into its stride and winter lies just ahead. While the last warm bursts of sunshine still make an occasional appearance, it’s only a brief tease before the grey clouds and drizzle take over. However we believe in the brighter side of … Continued
- Gin snacks: 5 amazing recipes to spice up your gin and tonicThere’s only one thing better than sipping on a freshly made G&T, built with care and garnished with love and that’s having the right snack available as you sip on our favourite drink. So, we thought we’d suggest some simple, nutty accompaniments which will make your G&T go down a treat. From sweet almond nibbles … Continued
- Oxley Gin: the gin that came in from the coldIf you like a classic juniper-forward gin with a twist, then we might have just discovered the perfect gin for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of Oxley Gin, a classic blend of tradition and innovation that delivers one of the most well balanced, smoothest and easiest to drink gins around. With 14 different botanicals … Continued