No smoke without fire?
Smoky ice cubes are indeed a thing. And they’re so easy to make. You could go all out and spend a day preparing a fire, smoking the wood and delicately infusing the ice. Or, you could simply buy a small bottle of liquid smoke and add a few drops to your ice cubes. Bingo!
This little hack is a gift from us to you – we know you’re busy and who has the time to do this from scratch? As the ice cubes inevitably melt, your drink becomes infused with a gentle smokiness that can enhance strong, complex cocktails such as a Negroni or a gin Old Fashioned. It’s a little magic trick that will impress your friends. For more inspiration, check out our free Top 10 gin bartending hacks.
Here is a great recipe that will draw out the smoky flavour from the ice to really lift your cocktail out of the ordinary.
- 10-15 smoky ice cubes
- 1 lime (cut into 8 wedges)
- 90ml of gin (citrus gins work best)
- Premium tonic water
- Squeeze the juice of two lime wedges per glass
- Fill the glass with the remaining lime wedges and fill to top with smokey ice cubes
- Add the gin and top up with tonic
- Garnish with half of the thin lime slice and serve immediately