The nights are dark and long, the summer feels like a different century and it’s way too cold to be thinking about a frozen cocktail. But there’s still gin to be drunk.
So, what do you do on those cold evenings when you’re huddled around the fire trying to stay warm. What’s the drink you want to put into your flask and sip on while watching your kids play winter sports or while walking in the woods with you family and friends? These are the moments when you want to reach for a warming, invigorating hot drink, spiked with a little booze.
Most of the time, when the words “hot toddy” are used they are referring to a whisky-based drink. But, since the gin revolution, all that has changed forever. Gin is now available in both hot and cold. This easy- to- make recipe warms you up from the inside out and it’s the perfect way to bring out those winter flavours of honey, orange, booze and cinnamon sticks. We recommend using a complex orange gin for this such as Tanqueray Sevilla (paid link), Silent Pool citrus gin (paid link) or Tarquins (paid link).
Plus, this is one of the easiest drinks you could ever make, packed with alcoholic flavour and wintery spice. And you can knock one of these up in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea!
TOP TIP: great for breakfast before (or after) a long winter’s walk. Just put it into a plain coffee mug and nobody will ever know!
Hot Gin Toddy recipe
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 oz gin
- ¼ cup of hot water
- Juice from 1 orange
- Cinnamon stick
- Orange slice
- Pour gin, honey and orange juice into a large mug
- Top up with hot water
- Stir honey in until dissolved
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and orange slice
And now, enjoy your Gin Toddy!
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- A Gin Zombie: no tricks, just a Halloween treatAfter a couple of years where Covid managed to transform our once busy Halloween streets full of children dressing up as ghosts and goblins into what seemed like genuine scenes from a post apocalyptic Zombie movie, a Gin Zombie seems like the ideal cocktail to usher in the Halloween feast. Now, that life is returning … Continued
- Hot gin toddy: cold comfort from an old friendThe seasons are changing. The summer heat is now well and truly behind us and we are now in that lovely space where the last of the summer sun still occasionally breaks through. It is a time to hear the leaves crunch beneath your feet, to watch the colors change from green to brown and … Continued
- Sloe-ly does it: a boozy apple and blackberry crumble to warm your soulAutumn is always a strange time of year. The weather lurches from warm autumn sunshine to wet winter winds in what seems like the blink of an eye. The leaves turn to a golden brown and deliver a satisfying crunch under foot as we try to make the most of what’s left of the summer … Continued
- Larios Provenzal: the sweet taste of the MedLet me be clear. Long before I discovered Larios Provenzal. I was a big fan of Larios gin. I have been a fan ever since I first moved to Barcelona, almost a decade ago. With a local heritage and a long tradition, it has been quietly making a name for itself as a great value … Continued