All good drinks should have a story attached and this classic Negroni cocktail is no exception.
Some time, way back in the 1920s, Italian Count Camillo Negroni walked into a bar called Cafe Casoni in Florence looking for a drink that required freshness, acidity and a touch of bitterness. He asked the bartender for an Americano (equal parts Martini Rosso and Campari, topped with soda water). But he didn’t think it was quite doing the trick. So, he took out the soda and put in a shot of gin. The rest is history.
In fact, the Negroni cocktail is the bartenders Holy Grail.
Get it right and it’s a sublime drink. Get it wrong and it can taste a little bitter.
But one thing is certain, it is a true cocktail classic – up there with the Old Fashioned (for Bourbon fans). That’s why it is so important for you to get the Negroni cocktail recipe right.
No more than 20 Negronis per day!
The Negroni first became popular in the 1920s and has been an iconic, classic cocktail ever since. In fact, Frances Harper of London wrote a letter to the ailing Count in 1920 which was delivered to his hospital bed. It offered some valuable advice:
– “You say you can drink, smoke and laugh just as much as ever. I feel you are not too much to be pitied. You must take no more than 20 Negronis in one day!”
This classic Negroni cocktail is the perfect drink for before (and after) dinner, but (like the Count) you can drink it any time.
Welcome to the king of drinks. Here is our version of the classic, simple Negroni cocktail recipe that the Count inadvertently created back in the 1920s.
Negroni Cocktail Recipe
- Equal parts of gin, Campari and Italian red vermouth
- Mix in an ice filled mixing glass
- Stir gently and pour into an Old Fashioned glass or tumbler
Garnish with chunky orange wedge and drink.
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- GinCity, London: the star of your barI love GinCity. Every so often, you come across a gin that takes you by surprise. So, when I received a bottle of GinCity London this Christmas, I was initially seduced by the beautiful bottle. Elegant and tall, the glass is intricately etched with a map of my home city in exquisite detail. Every London … Continued
- Gin Sangria: the best of both worldsSome people think it’s impossible to have the best of both worlds. At Barcelona Gin, we respectfully disagree. Barcelona and London. Gin and tonic. Sun and sea… But there’s a magical combination that combines all of these things in one delicious, refreshing jug of summer loving. For most people, Sangria is a drink mostly tasted … Continued
- Gin Key Lime Pie: a taste of summer sunshineSummer is on its way! It’s that time of year when the weather likes to tease us. We’re offered little glimpses of sunshine before the warmth is dampened by the clouds. We enjoy walking on the sunny side of the street, but freeze in the shade. We have warm spells but we know we can’t … Continued
- Mini-Egg Martini – the perfect Easter cocktail!There’s a little debate going on now in gin circles. With all the flavoured gins out there, when does it become too much? For the purists, the very idea of a strawberry-flavoured gin send shivers down the spine. On the other hand, the advent of flavoured gins has opened the door to millions of gin … Continued