It’s been my “go to” Summer drink ever since, because it combines some of my favourite ingredients including elderflower, lime, ginger and gin. Mixed together it is the lightest and most refreshing of summer cocktails.
Perfect for sipping on a summer’s day overlooking the clear waters of the trout stream that flows swiftly under the amazing converted mill deep in the Hampshire countryside – now home to the Bombay Sapphire distillery (and one of the best and prettiest gin tours in the UK).
Here’s how to make a Laverstoke cocktail (courtesy of Bombay Sapphire’s head bartender, Sam Carter.
- Squeeze 2 freshly cut lime wedges into a large copa (balloon) glass then drop in
- Pour in 10 ml of Elderflower cordial (paid link)
- Add 15 ml of Martini Rosso vermout (paid link)
- Pour in 50 ml of gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire! (paid link)
- Fill glass completely with large ice cubes and stir well to chill
- Pour ginger ale (or ginger beer) down a twisted bar spoon over the ice and gently stir cocktail at same time
- Garnish with a snapped ginger slice and an awoken mint leaf
- Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy…
For more of Sam’s delicious gin cocktail recipes click here
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- Barrel-aged gins: welcome to a world of wonderWe all know how far gin has come over the last decade or so. It has moved from being an old fashioned, last generation drink to the coolest cocktail base in town. There has been an explosion of gin making over that time period, with major distillers taking risks with unusual flavours and new techniques … Continued
- Gin mussels – flexing your tastebudsWe all know how versatile gin can be and increasingly it is appearing in more and more interesting recipes. With so many complex ingredients and unique flavours, a carefully chosen gin can add layers of undiscovered flavour to traditional dishes that would have probably been unthinkable only a few years ago. But as the gin … Continued
- Spring gin cocktail: Elderflower CollinsIt’s that time of year again. Every spring, we are teased with fleeting glimpses of bright sunshine and clear blue skies. We are seduced by the promise of warmer air and longer evenings. And then, we return to the cooler weather and grey skies for a few days, feeling a little cheated and let down. … Continued
- The Ruddles Report (April): all the gin news that’s fit to printIt’s official – this month, Ruddles, the Barcelona Gin Dog has gone barking mad. He’s spent the last few weeks hunting down the gin news that’s hard to find. The stuff that’s as rare as truffles, but much more useful. This month, we take a look at the world’s first cardboard gin bottle and we … Continued