It’s been my “go to” Summer drink ever since, because it combines some of my favourite ingredients including elderflower, lime, ginger and gin. Mixed together it is the lightest and most refreshing of summer cocktails.
Perfect for sipping on a summer’s day overlooking the clear waters of the trout stream that flows swiftly under the amazing converted mill deep in the Hampshire countryside – now home to the Bombay Sapphire distillery (and one of the best and prettiest gin tours in the UK).
Here’s how to make a Laverstoke cocktail (courtesy of Bombay Sapphire’s head bartender, Sam Carter.
- Squeeze 2 freshly cut lime wedges into a large copa (balloon) glass then drop in
- Pour in 10 ml of Elderflower cordial (paid link)
- Add 15 ml of Martini Rosso vermout (paid link)
- Pour in 50 ml of gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire! (paid link)
- Fill glass completely with large ice cubes and stir well to chill
- Pour ginger ale (or ginger beer) down a twisted bar spoon over the ice and gently stir cocktail at same time
- Garnish with a snapped ginger slice and an awoken mint leaf
- Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy…
For more of Sam’s delicious gin cocktail recipes click here
Written by Steve (with a little help from Ruddles, the gin dog!)
Don’t forget to follow us on our facebook community page to join in the gin discussion.
- 5 “go to” classic gins you can rely onIn this new world of 1000 gins, sometimes too much choice can be your enemy. We all know about the recent explosion of craft gins and often they can be quite expensive. So, it’s good to have a handful of “old faithfuls” classic gins that you know you can rely on for a good, standard … Continued
- Gin Gazpacho: for when the heat is on!When the heat is on and you just want something light, healthy and easy for lunch you could do worse than reach for a chilled bowl of home made Gazpacho soup. But we started thinking about making this traditional Spanish summer soup with the help of a little gin, so we began looking for recipes … Continued
- Home-made Pimms – put a little sunshine in your lifeWe’re now well and truly into summer and the social season lies ahead of us. In the UK we have three of the most social events of the year coming up including Wimbledon this week (where people watch tennis and drink Pimms); the Henley Royal Regatta (where boaters in straw hats row, while people drink … Continued
- Small bottle, big label: the story behind Angostura bittersWe recently published a little article about gin and bitters (including Angostura) – a pairing almost as old as gin itself. As cocktails become more daring and our tastes become more and more exotic, we are constantly searching for new twists and flavours to make sure we get the very best out of our drinks. … Continued